Toe & Fingernail Fungus
GenesisPlus is a trusted laser treatment perfected for safely and effectively treating onychomycosis.
Traditional treatments such as nail trimming, topical medicine, oral medicine or nail removal have significant drawbacks. Nail trimming doesn’t treat the fungus. Topical medicines need to be applied for 12 months and have a low success rate. Oral medicines are taken for 3 months but can cause liver or kidney problems. GenesisPlus is a quick, easy, safe, effective procedure that treats the fungus at the source. Studies of laser treatment of nail fungus show a success rate of 88%.
GenesisPlus is a Nd:YAG 1064nm laser that has been cleared by the FDA and Health Canada to be both a safe and effective solution for the treatment of nail infection (onychomycosis), more commonly known as toenail fungus. This laser is also a safe and effective treatment for scar reduction and warts.
Dermatophytes are the fungi most commonly responsible for causing this condition. They are specialized organisms that live off keratin, which is the main component of nails and skin. The most common fungi that cause nail infection disease are Trichophyton rubrum, Trichophyton mentagrophytes, and Candida albicans. Everyone is at risk for infection because fungus is present everywhere in the environment.
Nail infection is caused by contact with dermatophytes, which are everywhere in our environment. Common sources of infection include swimming pools, public showers, gyms and nail spas. Tight-fitting shoes and nail trauma can also lead to infection. Genetic susceptibility, poor health and increasing age are also factors that increase the risk of nail infection.
- Discoloured nails
- Yellow streaks under the nail
- Distorted or thickened nails
- Brittle, crumbly or ragged nail
- Nails separated from the underlying skin
- Buildup of debris (nail fragments, skin) under the nail
- White spots or streaks on the nail surface
Current treatment options for nail infection include oral drugs, topical drugs and laser. No single treatment is effective in all patients and there are risks and benefits associated with each one.
Laser light from GenisisPlus passes through the nail and the surrounding tissue. The laser light is absorbed by pigment in the fungi, which causes the pigment to heat, and this heat kills or damages the fungal organism. This can result in your nail growing normally.
The treatment involves passing the laser beam over the infected nails and surrounding skin several times until enough energy has reached the nail bed. Your nail will feel warm during the treatment.
- A single treatment session takes approximately 20 minutes to treat 5-10 nails. Treatment times will vary, so please ask us for more information.
- Most patients show improvement after one treatment. The required number of treatments will vary depending on how severely each nail is infected.
- It is important to remove all nail polish and decorations the day before the procedure.
- Immediately following the procedure your nail may feel warm for a few minutes. The majority of patients can resume normal activities immediately.
- If the treatment is successful, as the nail grows you will see new, healthy nail. Nails grow slowly, so it may take up to 12 months to see an entirely clear nail.
In clinical studies, 70-90% patients treated for toenail fungus showed improvement in the percent of nail clear. The amount of nail improvement you may experience is dependent on your individual circumstances.
Your nail infection should improve following treatment but you will need to continue with home care techniques to reduce recurrence of the infection as advised by your doctor. People with auto immune conditions have a high rate of reoccurance.